Mission | Goals | Services | Commission | Accessibility
The Gloucester County Cultural & Heritage Commission was established in 1975 by the Board of Chosen Freeholders to act as the designated agency in Gloucester County to receive and administer the New Jersey State Council on the Arts Local Arts Program and the New Jersey Historical Commission Local History Program. These grants provide small and emerging non-profit organizations funding through the Commission’s re-grant program for arts and history development.
The Gloucester County Cultural & Heritage Commission will become a strong advocate and resource in providing cultural & arts education, support for community based cultural & artistic organization and promoting values and benefits derived from cultural & artistic experience. We will provide public access, educate and expose all segments of the population to the arts & cultural activities, and foster growth and enhancement of local arts programming.
The Gloucester County Cultural & Heritage Commission services and programs are held in county facilities and are wheelchair accessible. When applicable and upon notice, we will arrange for sign language interpreting and transportation. Assistive listening devices are offered at no charge through the Gloucester County Library and large print programs are available upon request.
- Encourage the inclusion of the arts, cultural heritage, and history as key components of downtown revitalization, community capacity-building and creative partnerships in county-wide economic development efforts.
- Foster increased participation and support for the arts, cultural heritage, and history through improved advocacy and promotion.
- Foster expanded participation in and appreciation for the arts, cultural heritage, and history through life-long learning opportunities in the arts beginning with Early Childhood education.
- Provide encouragement and support to develop the capacity of individual artists and grassroots arts, cultural heritage, and history organizations throughout Gloucester County.
- Arts Project Support Grants to non-profit organizations through the New Jersey State Council on the Arts Local Arts Program
- History Project Support Grants to non-profit organizations for projects pertaining to the history of Gloucester County or the state of New Jersey though the New Jersey Historical Commission.
Technical Assistance to non-profit arts/cultural organizations in:
- Board Development
- Grant Writing
- Fundraising/Marketing/Audience Development
- ADA Compliance Plans
- Long Range Planning
- Program Development
- Artists Referral Service and Information Center
- Workshops and programming
Elaine Goodman – Chair
- Harry Schaeffer
- Ingres Simpson
- Dr. Ross Beitzel
- Pauline Jonas
- Shea Murray
- Steven Glenn Jones
- Diane Mac Williams
- Deanne Farrell
- Kerri Sullivan
- Eoin Kinnarney
- Diane Macris - Administrator
- Leanne Hogan, Secretary
- Carol Ann DeSimine – Recording Secretary
Offering a rich, cultural experience to all individuals is a priority of the Gloucester County Cultural & Heritage Commission. Accessibility to all people is encouraged by way of programming, workshops and other collaborative endeavors. Every organization receiving grant funds is expected to encourage and develop the participation of a broad cross section of citizens, including, but not limited to, diverse ethnic populations, individuals with disabilities, older adults, and women. Accessibility involves both the facilities used for programming, as well as the content of the programming activity, or product.