GCC Financial Aid
GCC Financial Aid

What is Gloucester County College’s Federal School Code?
The Federal School Code is 006901.

What is an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and how is it calculated?
The Expected Family Contribution is a value calculated by The Department of Education, used to determine a student’s eligibility for federal student aid. This number results from the financial information the student provided on his or her Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the Cost of Attendance?
The cost of attendance (COA) is an estimate of the combined costs of direct and indirect educational expenses.  It takes into account your basic living expenses, such as:  housing, transportation, etc. It is important for you to budget and make wise decisions regarding how to utilize the financial aid funds you receive.  Students are not allowed to receive aid that exceeds their cost of attendance.

Am I a dependent or independent student?
Your answers to questions on the FAFSA determine whether you are considered a dependent or independent. Click HERE for a website that may help you determine your dependency status.

My parents are divorced. Which parent’s information should I include on the FAFSA?
If your parents are divorced or separated, answer the questions about the parent with whom you lived more during the past 12 months. If this parent is remarried as of today, answer the questions on the FAFSA about that parent and the person whom your parent married (your stepparent). If you lived the same amount of time with each divorced parent, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months or during the most recent 12 months that you actually received support from a parent.

What if I have no contact with my parents? If you have no contact with your parents and don’t know where they live, or you’ve left home due to an abusive situation, fill out the FAFSA and then immediately get in touch with the financial aid office.  A financial aid administrator can explain the dependency override process and what steps you will need to take. 

Can I receive financial aid if I am not attending full-time?
If you are eligible for a partial Pell grant, you may receive aid for as little as 1 credit.

Can I get financial aid for the summer?
The Financial Aid academic year for Gloucester County College begins with the fall semester and ends with the summer semester.  You may have remaining financial aid eligibility if you did not use your full amount during the Fall/Spring semesters.  Please check with the front counter at the Office of Financial Aid.

What special conditions will GCC consider?
GCC will consider situations such as:
  • Death or disability of an income provider
  • Divorce
  • Unemployment due to layoff or business closing
  • Loss of income or expiring unemployment benefits
  • Unusually high medical expenses unreimbursed by insurance
  • Other situations arise on a case by case basis

How do I apply for an income reduction determination?
You would obtain the GCC Special Conditions Appeal Application.  This form may be obtained from the GCC/Financial Aid website under forms or at the Office of Financial Aid.

What if I withdraw from a class or two, will it affect my financial aid?
Please refer to the Academic Progress and Withdrawals pages.

I had to withdraw from all of my classes, what will happen to my financial aid?
Your financial aid award will be adjusted. Adjustments will be made based on the percentage of time you were enrolled during the semester. You may owe a balance after adjustments have been made. You will be notified in writing once an update occurs to your account. Please refer to the R2TIV policy.

GCC FinancialAid