|On November 2, 2007, Governor Jon S. Corzine signed into law a bill which amends N.J.S.A. 39:4-97.3 to make the use of a wireless hand-held telephone or electronic communication device by the operator of a moving motor vehicle a primary offense. The complete text of the law amending N.J.S.A. 39:4-97.3 can be found at P.L. 2007, c.198.
- It is a primary offense for a motorist to talk or text message with a hand-held wireless telephone or electronic communication device while driving.
- Use of a hand-held wireless telephone or electronic communication device includes, but is not limited to:
- Talking or listening to another person.
- Text messaging or sending an electronic message.
- There is a fine for violating this statute and no points will be assessed for the offense.
- The operator of a motor vehicle may use a hand-held wireless telephone while driving with one hand on the steering wheel only if:
- The operator has reason to fear for his or her life, safety or believes that a criminal act may be perpetrated against him or herself, or another person.
- The operator is using this device to report to appropriate authorities a fire, auto accident, serious road hazard, medical or hazardous material emergency, or to report another motorist who is driving in a reckless, careless, unsafe manner, or who appears to be driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The amended law took effect on March 1, 2008.
The Gloucester County Educational Campus fully supports this new law. All students and employees are required to be in compliance with the law. This is especially true if you are operating a campus motor vehicle.
Students, visitors and employees will be cited if a violation occurs on either campus.
Please take the time to read and familiarize yourself with this law.
Campus Safety and Security and the Gloucester County Sheriff’s Department will take active enforcement measures to ensure that the law is complied with when motor vehicles are operated on any campus roadways or parking lots.
|Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact Gloucester County Educational Campus Safety and Security Department:
- Dial Ext. 4444, from a campus-based telephone
- Dial (856) 464-5207 from an off-campus telephone
- Dial (609) 868-3963 from an off-campus telephone to obtain the mobile patrol officer