If an armed, threatening intruder comes on to the Gloucester County Educational Campus it is very important that faculty, staff and students report it immediately in order to take protective actions. The Gloucester County Educational Campus has an open campus in the middle of a suburban area and covers over 230 acres, creating unique challenges when dealing with this type of situation.
The Safety and Security Department of GCEC recommends the following procedures.
|If you see an armed intruder and you are in an office or classroom:
- Remain in the classroom or office and immediately lock all doors.
- Call 911. Try and remain calm so you can give an accurate description of the person(s). Note type of dress, height, weight, sex, and any other characteristics or physical items that are particular to the individual(s). Report the type of weapon if known and direction of travel, including buildings entered.
- Call the Campus Security Office at 856-464-5207 and report the above information.
- Lock the windows and close blinds or curtains.
- Turn off lights and all audio equipment.
- Stay out of the open areas and be as quiet as possible.
- Do not be visible from the door or windows.
- Try to remain as calm as possible.
- Keep classroom or office secure until police or Safety and Security arrive and give directions.
If you are caught in an open, exposed area and you cannot get into a classroom or office, you must decide upon a course of action:
Hiding: Look for a safe hiding area. Once in place try and remain calm. Stay hidden until you can make contact with emergency personnel.
Running: If you think you can safely make it out of the area, then do so. If you decide to run, do not run in a straight line. Attempt to keep objects (trees, vehicles, trash cans, etc.) between you and the hostile person. When away from immediate area of danger, summon help and warn others.
Playing Dead: If the intruder is causing death or physical injury to others and you are unable to run or hide you may choose to assume a prone position and lay as still as possible.
Fighting: Your last option if you are caught in the open and are in close proximity of the intruder is to fight back. This is dangerous and not recommended, but depending on your situation this could be your last option.
If you are caught by the intruder and are not going to fight back, obey all commands and avoid eye contact.
Once emergency personnel have arrived and taken over the situation, obey all commands.
|Safety & Security Procedures
- Once notified of a hostile intruder, the Gloucester County Educational Campus, Safety and Security Supervisor will ensure 911 have been contacted.
- The Safety and Security Supervisor will then implement the GCEC Crisis Management Plan.
- The college President will be notified and the Crisis Management Team will establish a command center.
- The Crises Management Team will coordinate the campus response with the Deptford Police Department and the Sheriff’s Department.
|Campus Safety and Security Department Office Non-Emergency Numbers
- Dial Ext. 4444, from a campus-based telephone
- Dial (856) 464-5207 from an off-campus telephone
- Dial (609) 868-3963 from an off-campus telephone to obtain the mobile patrol officer
- Or use one of the emergency phones installed around campus. Just press the blue button to call for Security. Talk into the speaker. Ask your question.