Student Services
Department of Special Services at GCC

The Department of Special Services provides academic support to GCC students who have documented disabilities. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. The Department of Special Services ensures GCC students receive appropriate accommodations which allow for academic success. Any questions regarding Section 504 or the ADA can be answered by Dennis Cook, Director of Special Services, 856-415-2281, e-mail - dcook@gccnj.edugroup of students

GCC students who have disabilities are not required to register with the Department of Special Services. Registering with the department is done on a voluntary basis. However, students who are interested in receiving special accommodations must register with Special Services.  To register with Special Services, follow these three steps:

  1. The student must complete and submit our Student Profile form. To access the Student Profile form, click on the link  Student Profile Form.

  2.   The student must submit documentation which details the student’s disability.                                                                      
                 Support services will not be granted without documentation specifying the student’s disability.  The documentation provided should include the following information: 
                       1.  A diagnosis with a written evaluation of a current disability
                       2. The date the student was diagnosed,
                       3.  Tests used to reach diagnosis
                       4.  Credentials of the professional
                       5.  How the disability affects daily activities and/or academic performance
                  By clicking on the following links, you can download a Special Education Records Release Form   and/or a Medical Release Form to present to the student’s appropriate medical/educational care professional.

  3. Contact our office to arrange a meeting with a staff member.

    The student should schedule a meeting after the Student Profile Form and proper documentation have been submitted to our office and after the student has completed the college’s basic skills placement entrance test. During the meeting, the student and the staff member will discuss the student’s disability and eligible accommodations will be decided upon.  (Click on Special Accommodations for Placement Testing to determine whether student should arrange his/her placement test through our office or the placement testing office) 

Students who are eligible and qualify for accommodations are encouraged to register with the department before they begin their academic career at GCC.  This will allow students to take advantage of any special accommodations and auxiliary aids that they may be eligible to receive.  Special accommodations include but are not limited to: extended time on tests, a private test room to complete tests with the assistance of a reader or scribe. Auxiliary aids include but are not limited to: note takers, tape recorders, large display calculators, and JAWS® software.  More information about adaptive technology can be found on the technology link. Students are responsible for identifying which accommodations and auxiliary aids they require for academic support.

Students who register with the Department of Special Services can be assured that their information will be kept confidential.  In addition, the student's transcript will not indicate that the student is registered with the Department of Special Needs Services. The student's specific special need is not disclosed to the student's instructors. However, if the student needs accommodations in the classroom, letters are sent to the instructors notifying them that the student is registered with the department. It is the student's choice whether or not to disclose the specifics of their special need to their instructors. Any questions regarding confidentiality, accommodations and auxiliary aids can be answered by a Department of Special Services staff member.  To reach a staff member call 856-415-2265. Many questions can be answered by visiting the frequently asked questions link. You may also want to visit our links page and our staff page.

Last Updated: June 12, 2013