Student Services
Student Development : Transfer Planning

Career and Transfer Planning

Learn more about transfer planning through NJ Transfer.

"What should my major be if I am planning to transfer?"
Gloucester County College has specific programs designed for students who will be transferring to a four-year college. These programs are Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degrees. If you are planning to transfer, the AA and AS degrees are your best choices to maximize transfer credit. There are a few AAS degree programs that, with a few minor modifications, will allow for increased transferability. NOTE: See the Transfer Counselor for specific details.

"I know where I want to transfer."
If you know where you want to transfer, access that institution's web page or catalog. Make copies of the general education or core curriculum requirements and requirements for your major. After you have collected this information, schedule an appointment with the transfer counselor. Bring this information with you.

"I am undecided about where to transfer."
If you are undecided about where you want to transfer, use the internet to access various college search information pages. Two of the best pages are:

Visit the career/transfer library in The Office of Student Development and access over 600 catalogs and the Peterson's guide to colleges. After collecting information on several schools, make an appointment with the transfer counselor to discuss your options.

Points to remember...
Gloucester County College credits are transferable. To maximize your transfer credits, keep in mind that each course you choose should be chosen with the transfer institution in mind. Do not assume that because a course is required at one institution it is required at all of them. Institutions, just like people, have different personalities. Do well in your classes. Appropriate courses, with a grade of 'C' or higher, will transfer.

Start the transfer planning process early. The more specific a student can be about their transfer institution and major, the better the advisor and counselors are able to assist in choosing the best courses for transfer.

Transferring Credits into Gloucester County College
Award of transfer credit is not an automatic process. It is the student's responsibility to contact the Enrollment Services office to review your transcripts from other colleges. Prior to enrollment, it is possible to have an unofficial evaluation or review of your credits for information purposes. This process will be accomplished in the Admissions Office. Call (856) 415-2209 to schedule an appointment with an Admissions Coordinator.

Transfer credit is not officially awarded and made part of your academic record until you are enrolled. At that time, you will be required to sign an official "Transfer of College Credit" form. The courses, which are applicable to your program, would then be added to your Gloucester County College transcript.

Points to remember about transferring in credits from other institutions...
Only credits that apply to your specific degree program will be transferred in.

If you change your major, be sure to request a re-evaluation of your transfer credit. There may be additional credits that initially did not transfer in that are now part of your degree program.

For example, if you have a Business Law course that you received a 'C' or better in and you are a Liberal Arts major at GCC, the Business Law course will not transfer in to GCC because Business Law is not a course in your degree program. While the course may not transfer into GCC it still may eventually transfer to your 4-year institution if you are planning to transfer.

Most 4-year institutions have a limit on the TOTAL number of COMMUNITY COLLEGE credits they will transfer in. This number is usually between 60-66. If your transfer credits are from another COMMUNITY COLLEGE, be sure that those credits, combined with the number of credits that are taken at GCC, do not equal more than 60-66 credits. If you have questions about any of this information, please contact The Office of Student Development at (856) 468-5000, ext 6624.